Sunday, June 22, 2014

Have you read Wonder yet?


If you haven't read Wonder yet, it's time.  Don't put it off a second longer.  It doesn't matter what age you are, this book needs to be read and shared.  Wonder is by a first-time author, R.J. Palacio.  The main character is Auggie (August Pullman) and he has a facial deformity since birth.  Auggie is about to enter middle school and is going to mainstream public school for the first time since being home schooled his whole life.  This is a book about how Auggie survives his first year in middle school, how kids react to his differences and why you should always choose kind.

I read this book 1 year ago and it is still sticking with me!  I read it to both of my language arts classes and they loved it!  We laughed and cried together as I read it to them.  I also used it as a basis for my behavior management with them.  It is an excellent book.

In May I noticed there was something else......


The Julian Chapter is a spinoff from Wonder.  Julian is an awful character- a bully.  This is his chapter. It is interesting to see his side of the story, but I have to say, I never felt bad for him.  If anything this "chapter" made me dislike him even more.  I hate how his parents make excuses for his behavior....and being a teacher, I see this all the time.  I would say his chapter is worth reading (it's only available as an e-book right now and costs a mere $1.99) and next school year it will be something I share with my class after reading them Wonder.

Go read Wonder today and remember: choose kind.





No comments:

Post a Comment