Friday, June 27, 2014

Book Review: Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain

You guys.  This book is sooooooo great!  Oh my gosh, where do I start???  Okay, so Necessary Lies takes place in the 1960's in the South. This time period in historical fiction is actually my favorite to read about (ahem, The Help).  The chapters change from one main character to the other- the two main characters are Ivy and Jane.  Jane has just finished college and although she's about to get married she yearns for a career in social work.  After much persistence, her husband allows her to follow that dream--little does he know how involved Jane will become with her passion.

On the other hand, Ivy is a teenager growing up in a rural tobacco farm community.  Her father died in a farm accident and her mother was institutionalized as she was mentally handicapped.  Ivy lives at the farm in a shack with her grandmother, sister and nephew.  Her sister is just a few years older and was told after she had Baby William she had her appendix removed- little does she know she was actually sterilized and unable to have anymore children.

As Jane takes over her social work duties in this rural area, she is constantly battling with what's morally right and wrong.  When she's asked to petition for Ivy to be sterilized she could lose her job if she doesn't write it....but Ivy could lose her dream of having a family of her own.

I highly recommend this book.  It kept me guessing but was an easy read.  Excellent story and unbelievable that this was loosely based on fact.  5 stars from me! Necessary Lies

1 comment:

  1. I bought it as soon as you started raving about it. I can always count on you for a great read. It's next on my list 😉

    ReplyDelete